Friday, March 12, 2010

Who's Your Daddy?

 (Fat Boy food coma)

Last Friday Gavin called me to tell me the letter I was looking for was in the mail.  I had him read it to me, fully expecting the results I got.  All I had to do now was sit and wait for Jordan to call me.  He told me that he'd call when he was ready to talk about everything.  I was ok with this. 

What I didn't expect was that he would call me at 4:00 while I was still at work on Friday.  I had expected that it would be late on Saturday or sometime on Sunday when he called.  I figured that he'd need to mull over the fact that he was now a dad and talk with his girlfriend about the changes that this will bring to both of their lives.  Turns out, he's spent the last 7 weeks going over it and making plans because he knew that Ev wasn't the ex-husband's kid.  Jordan was there and was my protector when everything went down with the ex, so he knew it wasn't likely I was having sex with somebody who was punching the window out of my screen door, let alone the fact that the ex-husband is fixed.  I know, I know sometimes it doesn't work or whatever, but like I said, we weren't even living in the same house....

So Jordan and I talked.  He's moving to this side of town and buying a house to be close to Ev.  He wants to spend all the time he can with him.  It's kinda freaking me out a little.  It's always just been me and my kids.  The big ones NEVER go away for more than a day with my mom and it's pretty much been 24/7 with the little guy since he was born.  Anyways, we talked about a custody arrangement and agreed that we really need to sit down in person before our child support hearing in June and figure something out.  He wants shared parenting, but I don't know that I'm ok with all that right yet.  We'll see how things go.....

Towards the end of the conversation I asked him when he was interested in spending some time with the kid.  He mentioned that he'd really like to take him to his sister's birthday party that Sunday.  It would only be a couple of hours and would be a good way to introduce the baby to his family.  Ok, I was good with that.  See you Sunday then.

Saturday morning I slept in because we had been out late as usual the night before.  My sleep was interrupted my incoming text messages from Jordan.  He was out shopping for Ev and wanted to know what size of everything he wore.  I texted him back and forth for a little bit and he said he was really excited about Sunday.  Ok dude, good for you....it's 10am and I might still be drunk......Need sleep.....


Sunday at noon rolled around and Jordan showed up on time leaving his girlfriend in the car.  He came in and I was holding Ev.  We stood up and Ev reached out to grab his hat.  The kid is fascinated by hats and sunglasses.  He was good playing around with Jordan while I held him and we talked about what not to feed him and all that.  As soon as I handed him over the kid started to scream bloody murder.  I almost cried, but held firm telling Ev that I loved him and he'd have fun with his dad.  As soon as they were out the door I might have had to cry for a minute.  Brandon and Gavin weren't real happy about little brother going off with essentially a stranger, but they got over it and resumed their concert in Rock Band.

I really didn't know what to do while he was gone.  Thankfully Nicole called and wanted to go get something to eat.  I was more than happy to be her taxi for a few hours.  Jordan texted me while we were at lunch to let me know Ev had calmed down and was actually playing and having fun with his family.  I felt a little better.

When Jordan dropped him off, he complained that Ev was all stuffed up and perhaps needed to see a doctor.  I had to explain that's how all kids in daycare are in the winter.  They just keep passing the bug back and forth.  Jordan's solution?  Take the kid out of daycare.  His mom stays at home and can babysit. Uhhh.... As much as I'd like to be saving all the money I'm spending on daycare, which has essentially bankrupted me, I think it's a little soon for all that.  I politely declined for now and asked when he'd like to see him again.  He said Wednesday.  I said ok and that he should meet us at daycare so that he knows our routine there.

Wednesday rolls around and I leave work an hour early to meet him at daycare.  I had already let them know he was coming and to keep the kid clean.  I get there and his truck is already there.  I go inside and hear he's already back in the infant room.  When I get back there, he's sitting on the floor playing with Ev.  We go through the motions at daycare and he holds Ev the entire time.  I'm feeling a little left out.  They leave and I have some me time.

While Ev is gone, my sister Melissa's friend Cassie and her son show up to move in.  I didn't know Melissa, her husband and their kid were coming too.  Soon Tara and her kids are at the house and a barbecue has started.  WTF?  Ok, whatever.  I had plans for the evening but whatever.  Jordan texts to ask when Ev goes to bed and I tell him anywhere between 6:30 and 9:00 but most of the time right around 7.  He says he's going to give him a bath, get his pj's on and then bring him home.  Ok then.

He gets the kid home and drops a bomb on me.  "Can I have him again tomorrow?" he says.  Nope, mom's taking him since she hasn't seen him lately.   "Ok then, well I want to have him on Sunday then.  You know, keep him overnight." he said.  What?  I thought we agreed that no overnights until you were closer and had room to keep him overnight?  "Tara, I just want to see him as much as possible.  Bethany will watch him Monday while I'm at work and then I'll bring him home Monday night."  Ugh.  Ok, I guess that will work.

That's where we are right now.  I really respect that he's trying to do the right thing and all, I'm just feeling a little left out right now.  I guess it's because I really don't have a whole lot going on for myself right this second.  We'll talk about all that later........

Wanna see something amusing though?  Below are two pictures.  They look like the same kid don't they?  It's not.  The one on the left is Gavin when he was about a year old.  The other one is Ev just last week at daycare.  No wonder the big brother is so protective......


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kids are really great. They can bring out the best in the parents.

Secretia

Martie said...

Ever wonder how boring our lives would be without all the drama we have in 'em? I pray for boring all the time. HUGS

Tara said...

Secretia, you're absolutely right!

Martie, I too pray for boring, but it's NEVER going to happen. I attract drama, whether intentional or not.....

Anonymous said...

Well I have to give him credit for wanting to be a dad. I'm used to the opposite. But he is moving a little fast there.
Your little one is a cutie!

Vegas Linda Lou said...

Sweetie, be happy that Jordan is such a stand-up guy. I mean, thank God, right? You can use some time to yourself, even though it's understandable that since you haven't had a second to yourself in years, you probably don't know what to do.

You're a smart chick and a great writer--there's so much you can do! In time, you'll know where to start. For now, just be thankful. Your load is about to lighten a bit--it's all good.

(How can you freakin' stand me?)

conquer The Monkey said...

it's great that he wants to be involved, way better than being MIA!!!

Tara said...

You girls are all right, I'm glad he's around, but JEEZ, I feel like he's smothering me right now!! We'll just have to see how all this plays out once the novelty wears off...

And Linda, thank you for your usual mom advice, lol. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

let the guy be his daddy! i mean, if he were a serial killer you wouldn't have dated him/gotten preggers by him to begin with, right? ok, bad analogy where you're involved, but you get the jist! he's excited. he has a new toy. we like good daddies!

Tara said...

You're right Curious, we like good daddies....